Wednesday 19 October 2011

Making Light II


In the interest of full disclosure, I do make a small commission if you purchase your eBooks using the link on the bottom of this page. If you do chose to purchase this eBook, or any other from Craft & Vision, I would appreciate it if you enter the site using this link; doing so will keep reviews like this one coming to my blog.


When I was told that Piet Van Den Eynde was releasing a sequel to his fantastic eBook “Making Light”, I was extremely excited. This is one of the great things about eBooks; normally when you read something you love you have to wait months if not years for a sequel, but with the advent of digital publishing new and exciting content can be delivered much quicker to consumers like you and me. I’m going to make the same recommendation with this one as I did with the first; if your want to learn how to better your pictures through the use of off camera lighting, buy this book. At $4 (with discount code below) you simply are not going to get better bang for your dollar.

“Making Light II” is very similar to the first book in layout in terms of gear info as well as case studies. Once again, Piet Van Den Eynde creates an enjoyable learning experience. Most of the lighting gear he discusses is stuff I use almost every week; so I definitely agree with his choices. I’m especially a big fan of the Pocketwizard Control TL system he goes over, and I highly recommend the investment. That leads me to what some may see as the disadvantage of this book; it will make you want to start buying lighting gear. Lighting gear is a never ending, expensive, but extremely necessary addiction when it comes to the improving your photos. However, this book is a fantastic resource which points you in a good direction. And let’s be honest, for $4 it’ll more than pay for itself if it saves you from one wrong purchase.

The gear speak only represents part of this book; there are also the case studies I mentioned that give you great examples of various photographs lit by flash. These are great, and thats not it. Towards the end of the book there are four interviews with Dutch photographers. They provide great insight into different viewpoints on flash and come complete with examples. At almost 80 pages, all of this content will take you a while to through.

I’ll repeat what I said at the beginning of this post: buy this book. With the discount code MAKINGLIGHT4 you can get it for only $4 for the next 5 days. After that, the book is $5. Also in the next 5 days, use the code MAKINGLIGHT20 and get 20% off when you buy 5 or more PDF eBooks from Craft & Vision.

Here is the link to view and purchase books in Craft & Vision’s collection:
Click here to visit Craft And Vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment